Frugal moms, like everyone else, want to look as beautiful as they can, especially when money is tight. Looking beautiful gives a woman confidence that keeps her energetic and productive. But how can we look our best when money is tight and we can’t afford to buy top of the line beauty products? It’s actually easier than you think! You certainly don’t have to spend a fortune to look good.
Baby wipes are an amazing creation. And if you have small children it’s almost guaranteed that you will always have these little wonders at hand. But they’re good for more than just cleaning sticky fingers and removing ice cream from chins… they’re also wonderful cleansing wipes for your face or to wipe off stray eye shadow blotches or powder dust. Sensitive skin or fragrance-free wipes are even delicate enough to be used for eye make-up remover.
You can extend the life of lip gloss to save money. Simply fill a cup with boiling water and drop in your pot of gloss. Let sit for about 30 minutes. When you remove from water, it appears to have “magically” expanded and you have more gloss left! This works because lip gloss tends to sticks to the sides of the container and really only needs a little coaxing to make it usable again.
When you do finally run out of gloss, you can make your own. And it’s a lot easier than you may think. Mix a small amount of petroleum jelly (Vaseline)–that you can buy just about anywhere–with a dab of powdered eye shadow or blush in a color you like. Use a lip brush to apply.
While most of us use curling irons instead of curlers, there are some who still prefer to curl their hair the “old-fashioned” way. If you’re one of those frugal moms, you don’t need to spend a fortune on curlers. Instead improvise and use something you already have around the house such as strips of fabric, newspaper, brown paper bags or even cardboard paper towel rolls cut in strips. Anything that can be held in place on your head with a bobby pin will work.
Instead of spending a small fortune on facials, head to the refrigerator and grab an egg. Carefully separate the whites (put the yolk aside you’ll be using that later) and whisk until frothy. Cover your face with the egg whites and let dry. Once dry, wash with lukewarm water and pat dry. Now break the yolk and massage into your face. Egg yolk has excellent moisturizing properties. Rinse lightly and enjoy your fresh feeling, younger looking skin.
You can save money on a haircut by visiting a local beauty school. Or if you don’t have a school nearby, ask around and see if you can find a recent graduate. They’re often cheaper because of their lack of experience but are typically very conscientious to do a good job. Another option is to look for coupons for haircuts, or see if an area salon is offering a discount for students, seniors, etc. for which you may qualify.
One of the best things you can do to look more beautiful… Relax! Stress not only puts a strain on your emotions, but it shows in your face as well! Smile. Think happy thoughts and let your radiance shine through.
Looking good doesn’t have to cost a fortune, though it can if you’re not careful. You can still look good and care for your skin, nails and hair well, with these beauty tips and tricks.
• Drink at least eight glasses of water every day. It will moisturize your skin, give you a healthy color and keep you healthier all the way around.
• Inexpensive baby oil makes a great moisturizer. You can get a bottle at the dollar store for $1 or less. This is great to slather on right after a shower.
• Baby lotion works well as a moisturizer, too. It’s thick and rich and has a wonderful scent (especially the lavender). Try it on your feet every night before bed. Before long your heels will be much softer and smoother.
• If you make homemade beauty treatments, be aware that they can spoil quickly. For best results, make them in small batches and store in the refrigerator or share a portion with a friend.
• Never pay full price for toothpaste. You can almost always find a printable coupon to save $1 or more on a large tube. And who says you have to fill your toothbrush with a long line of toothpaste? A short (1/4″ or less) line will work just as well and cost much less over time.
• There’s no need to spend $5 or more on a can of quick nail dry spray. Use a vegetable cooking oil spray and get the same results for much less.
• Make your own facial scrub with a tablespoon of honey, two tablespoons of very finely ground almonds and a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice. Wet your face, and wash with the mixture then rinse well.
• Save money on shampoo and conditioner by washing your hair less. Typically, every other day will work for most people. And an added benefit is that your haircolor will usually last longer as well.
• Another tip to make your haircolor last longer is to make a batch of strong tea. Then wet hair thoroughly with the solution and let set for 10-15 minutes. Rinse well.
• If your skin is oily and needs an astringent, try witch hazel. You can use it full strength then rinse with apple cider vinegar to balance the ph in your skin.
• You can extend the life of your lipstick and get the last usage from a tube by scraping out the remainder and putting it into a small container to use with a lip brush. (Half-size spice containers that have been washed and rinsed well work great for this.)
• You don’t have to use cotton balls to remove eye makeup. Use a wash cloth instead. Not only does it work just as well, or better, but you won’t get fibers from the cotton balls in your eyes either.
• The same is true for nail polish. Keep an old wash cloth just for the purpose of removing polish. When it becomes too stained to use, toss it and get another.
• Save money at the hairstylist’s by learning to cut your own bangs. Simply wet your bangs and gather them together in the center of your forehead. Wrap with a small hair elastic and pull them down to measure the length. Using very sharp scissors snip the ends being careful not to cut them too short. You can always cut a little more, if needed. This creates a nice, rounded, slightly uneven edge for your bangs which is much more natural than a straight-across cut.
• Letting your hair grow will also save at the salon. Long hair doesn’t need to be cut as often as short hair does.
• Want shinier hair? Try rinsing your hair with vinegar after washing. It’s said to give hair a great, healthy shine.
• Minimize your beauty regimen for the most frugal results. Not only will you look more natural and save money, but it will take less time to get ready to go somewhere as well.
submitted by Moms like You
If it’s Good Enough for Cleopatra
Add milk to your bathwater. I like to use Sea Salts or Bath Therapy and then add about a cup of milk to my bathwater. It feels wonderful. If it’s good enough for Cleopatra, then it’s good enough for me! – Nicole Dean
Make your own Sugar Scrub
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup vegetable oil such as sunflower or something like that
1 tbsp honey
essential oils such as rosemary, mint or grapefruit
Use about one tablespoon, Especially good on rough dishpan hands, elbows, and feet.
Benefits of Lavender
Lavender has been widely known to aid in calming nerves and tension as well as aiding in the relief of headache and migraines while easing your drift off to sleep. Enjoy a lavender scented eye pillow with the lights low to ease your headache away, the scent soothes your mind and body. – Christina Lunceford
Take care of yourself with these recipes for lip gloss you can make from home.
Making your own lip gloss
Cranberry Lip Gloss
1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
10 fresh cranberries
1 teaspoon honey
1 drop of vitamin E oil
Mix all the ingredients together in a microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave for a couple of minutes or until the mixture just begins to boil.
(Bowl may also be heated in a pan of water on a stovetop).
Stir well and gently crush the berries.
Cool mixture for five minutes and then strain through a fine sieve to remove all the fruit
pieces. Stir again and set aside to cool completely.
When cool, transfer into a small portable plastic container or tin.
3 oz. Almond Oil
2 Teaspoons Honey
1/2 oz. Beeswax or Beeswax Pellets
1 Vitamin E Capsule (as a preservative)
1-4 Drops Essential Oil
Aloe Vera Lip Gloss
1 tsp aloe vera gel
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp petroleum jelly
Mix the ingredients in a glass bowl, and microwave for 1 – 2 minutes.
Pour into container.
Heal Sores Balm
3 oz almond oil
2 tsp pure honey
1/2 oz beeswax
1 tsp tea tree oil
Melt all together and stir while cooling.
Fruity Lip Gloss –Made with Kool-Aid!
2 tbsp. solid shortening
1 tbsp. fruit-flavored powdered drink mix (Kool-Aid)
35 mm plastic film container
Mix shortening and drink mix together in a small microwave-safe container until smooth.
Place container in the microwave on high for 30 seconds until mixture becomes a liquid.
Pour the mixture into a plastic film container or any other type of small airtight container.
Place the fruity lip gloss mixture in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes or until firm.
Chaele is a WAHM annd a mother of three. She owns MSU
As Moms, we know the meaning of stress! And, we know the meaning of wanting to relax with a spa bath experience. Take care of yourself with these recipes for bath salts you can make from home.
Cocoa Bath Salts De-Stress Recipe
1/8 cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup Epsom salts
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Optional: 2 to 3 drops lavender essential oil.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined and then add as the bath water is running.
Check out this site for more free Homemade Beauty Recipes.
Simple Bath Salt Experience
Add plain old Epsom salts (the kind you can get at Kmart or any discount store) and milk to your bath tub with hot water.
If you have any favorite essential oils that you enjoy, drop a few drops into the bath for an aromatherapy spa experience.
Check out this site for more free Homemade Beauty Recipes.